Watch simple and tasty how-tos,
tips and recipes.
- 3 (7.2-ounce) packages Fresh Express® Apples & Cheddar Salad Kits®
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1 small sweet onion, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Canola oil
- Applesauce, optional
- Grate the potatoes, carrots, and onion on the large holes of a box grater. Combine 3 cups grated potatoes, 2 cups grated carrots and 1/2 cup grated onion in a colander set over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Firmly squeeze the mixture with your hands to extract as much liquid as possible; dry between paper towels if needed. Place into a large bowl; add the flour and egg.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Working with 1/4 cup of the vegetables, form pancakes that are 3 to 4 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. Place on a baking sheet or plate.
- Fill a large deep skillet with 1/4-inch of canola oil. Heat oil over medium heat until sizzling. Working in batches, cook the latkes for 3 to 4 minutes or until deep golden-brown on the bottom. Turn over with a spatula and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until deep golden-brown. Transfer the latkes to another baking sheet lined with paper towels; keep warm. Continue making latkes, adding more oil as necessary to the skillet.
- Place the Fresh Express® Apples & Cheddar Salad Kits® into a large bowl; toss with the salad dressing. Add the toppings; toss to combine.
- Divide salad evenly on eight plates; top each with a latke.
- Tip: Be sure to fry the latkes until deep golden-brown so that they are crispy and cooked throughout.